Here are some of the things that make it more likely that you'll get obese. It's probably a combination of these that lead to obesity in most people. 1 2
Researchers think that some people who are obese might have a faulty ob gene. So these people don't make enough leptin. This makes it harder for them to control how much they eat because they don't sense when they feel hungry or full. This makes them more likely to be obese. 4
But this problem is rare. Most people with obesity don't have this problem.
You might also eat too much if you have a mental health condition, such as depression oranxiety disorder, or if you feel bad about yourself (have low self-esteem).
- Your sex: Women are slightly more likely to be overweight than men are.
- Your ethnic group: Women who are Mexican American or African-American are particularly at risk.
- Age: Men and women are most likely to gain weight between the ages of 20 and 40.
- Menopause: The changes in levels of during can make it easier to gain weight.
- Drinking too much alcohol: Alcoholic beverages are high in calories.
- Quitting smoking: Quitting smoking is good for your health, but you might gain weight afterward.
- Being married: Married people are more likely to be overweight than those who stay single.
- Having children: Women are likely to gain about 2 pounds each time they have a baby.
- Poor education: People who do less well at school are more likely to get obese later in life.
Sources for the information on this page: