(NaturalNews) Ginger is an herb that is often used to season foods. It is popularly used in Asian cooking, as well as in stir fries. The root of the ginger plant is firm, pungent and spicy. The color of ginger root can vary from yellow or white to red. The time it is harvested determines whether it has a thick or thin skin.
In addition to being prized for the unique and desirable flavor it adds to foods, ginger has been used for thousands of years as a health remedy for various aliments. For more than 2,000 years, the Chinese have been using this popular root plant as a cure for upset stomach and nausea as well as to aid in digestion and diarrhea. Here are five amazing ways that ginger can help improve a person's health.
1. Combat complications from diabetesGinger might help protect the nerves of a person who suffers from diabetes as well as lower their fat levels. Another important way ginger could help diabetics is by significantly reducing the levels of serum glucose, as well as proteinuria, thirst and enuresis. This was the result according to researchers who tested rats that were chemically induced with diabetes. The rats that showed these improvements were given 500 mg of raw ginger. In addition, Laurie Steelsmith, a licensed doctor of naturopathy, notes that ginger can help thin the blood, lower blood pressure, increase circulation and lower cholesterol.
2. Ease pain and inflammationGinger has been shown to ease muscle pain, as well as back pain. In addition, it has been shown to reduce inflammation. Women have been able to find relief from menstrual pain. Relief from the pain of migraines has also been experienced.
3. Helps relieve nausea and motion sicknessUsing ginger to help relieve the symptoms of nausea has been popular for thousands of years. These properties in ginger are the reason why modern-day people drink ginger ale when they are feeling nauseous. Ginger also helps relieve both sea sickness and motion sickness. A study in which pregnant women were given either a ginger drink or a placebo found that many of those women who were given the ginger drink experienced relief from their symptoms.
4. Relieves cold and flu symptomsMany people who practice Chinese medicine prescribe ginger to their patients who suffer from colds or the flu. It acts as a antihistamine as well as a decongestant.
5. Helps relieve arthritis symptomsThe results of a study published in Osteoarthritis and Cartilage showed that patients who suffer with painful arthritis in their knees had much less pain and loss of movement when they took ginger than those patients who were given a placebo.
In addition to being added to foods, ginger tea or ginger capsules can be consumed to take advantage of the benefits of this plant.
Post a Comment